Sunday, 22 September 2013

The Daily Chick

I got such a shock this morning when, armed with camera,  I peeped into the maternity ward / nursery. For a second I thought I'd caught Evie in the act of eating a chick! Then she turned her head towards me and I saw that the white silkie chick was determinedly gripping Evie's wattle in its beak, little  furry legs kicking akimbo and tiny fluffy wings flapping. Then it let go and plopped down to the floor where it  grabbed a few mouthfuls of chick-crumb and scooted back into Evie's skirts. Obviously despite having the camera  primed and ready I was so taken aback that I missed a great shot. But I snapped the other two who were very obliging.


It seems I'd interrupted lesson time. Evie was teaching them how to eat. Or at least encouraging them to peck in the vicinity of the food.  Evie makes a specific call and they tumble out like furry ping-pong balls and climb into the food bowl cheeping loudly. They were doing really well, So well in fact that I suspect White Silkie got a bit overenthusiastic and grabbed Evie instead.



My investigations lead me to believe the grey/yellow chick is possibly a Silver Laced Polish. It certainly has a 'hair-do' or crest and super colouring on its back. Here it is kindly displaying its rather cute rear view for the identity parade. 

Do you know this chick?

And I think the little black silkie is a day younger than the others but Evie ensures it gets a go in the food dish.


She's still sitting on eggs and I'm not at all sure what to do. Despite her assertions otherwise I really doubt that they're viable now. I think I'll seek advice from the Canny Chicken Company who supplied the eggs. Watch this space.

4 comments:

  1. Denise - I have been having so much fun reading your "chickenbabyegg" series :) Thank you for taking these adorable pictures ( i love the little moptop on the polish one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of risking naming them now. Moptop is sticking....

      Delete
  2. Its possible that one or two eggs, maybe still about to hatch. But after 5 days past the hatching date, I would destroy those eggs, as Evie could still insist on sitting, and ignore the live ones. But I have enjoyed your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheyenne, it's good to get some advice. The egg suppliers said the same so tomorrow is D-Day. Glad you've enjoyed the saga!

      Delete