Sunday, 18 November 2012

Sunshine and smiles.

Yesterday the sun shone. Burnishing the few remaining drab leaves to a gorgeous coppery and bronze hue.   Fooling us into thinking it could still be late autumn rather than early winter.
An unusual visitor to the bird feeder made me grab my camera and attempt some ill-advised hand-held shots. The poor quality of the resulting photos confirm that a tripod was needed but as I was just passing these will have to do. You can see by the Great Tit's head at the base of the first shot that the bird is about the size of a small sparrow.


Further investigation leads me to believe it's a Mealy Redpoll. A fitting name I think. It's a type of finch. I've never seen one before and I am delighted that it is visiting my feeding station. I wonder if it will stay awhile?

For once the sky was a clear blue without a hint of cloud, raising the spirits and calling me outside to play. I decided to finally get the new e.bike out for its inaugural run. My Dearly Beloved got it all wired up last week and I've been waiting for the rain to stop to try it out. So yesterday afternoon I donned my hi-vis gear and helmet and off I went. Four miles. Four whole miles in the open air under my own steam. Joy. It's the first time since I injured my back four years ago that I've been able to do such a thing. My e.bike carried me without a hitch up hills and along the roads and lanes, in the late afternoon sun. The biting air reminded me to add gloves and ear-muffs to the shopping list. At the top,obviously,way ahead of food and bills.
I was gliding silently down a quiet wooded lane when up ahead a roe deer hind bounced from the trees and stood in front of me for a long minute before bounding off into the thickets. A beautiful sight and I kicked myself for not bringing the camera along. Next time.
This bike is a much more complicated affair than the previous one and it'll take a while to really get to grips with all the options it offers. But I felt secure and comfortable on it and covered four miles, and could easily have gone further. Such amazing freedom.
Today it's grey, wet and dull again. But I'm still smiling.





6 comments:

  1. The new e-bike sounds fantastic. Can't wait til we get together and zoom off at the touch of a button! I went 5 miles today, but it was freezing and that's with gloves and fully covered. I'm putting a balaclava on my xmas list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully not too far away Vee. And yes I think a balaclava is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Never seen a Mealy redpoll, not even a really one! Anyway well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheyenne. He/she seems to have gone now. Must have been just passing through so I was lucky to catch it.

      Delete
  3. I love the name 'mealy redpoll' - it sounds like something out of a Hardy novel. A good spot and good photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. It does sound old-fashioned doesn't it? But couldn't really be more fitting.

      Delete