Thursday, 19 July 2012

Incoming!

The tranquility of the morning was shattered a while ago by several loud crashes, the frantic scrabbling of doggy claws on laminate floors and the alarming drone of a small aircraft approaching. Then this monster waspy thing shot into the living room with Chico in hot pursuit wearing his maddest 'I'm gonna eat it' expression. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Chico could have hitched a ride on it. Well maybe a little. But it was huge!

Haha! I am zee giant killer wazzzp !

And is that an enormous stinger thing?


Yezzz. Look at my enormous zzzztinger zzzing and be afraid!

Eeeek! I was very afraid.

Much to his disgust I shut the wailing Chico the Brave (for brave read stupid) Giant Wasp Killer in the hall and grabbed my camera for a quick snap before catching The Thing in a  pint glass and liberating it to terrify someone else.
Chico is back in and slobbering all over the window trying to find it

It was definitely here a minute ago! I wanted to eat it.
but at least he's had the sense to call in reinforcements.
Where? Where?

Is it my imagination or are British insects getting bigger every year?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Denise, its a Pine Wasp, lives in old Pine trees, looks to lay eggs in rotting trunks, totally harmless! I know its big, but its ok, Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harmless??? The very size is enough to induce a heart attack!
    Actually I've looked it up and it seems that its 'stinger' is actually an ovipositor for drilling into wood and laying eggs. Interesting creature but I don't want it in my house! Thanks Cheyenne :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in agreement with you Denise. I mean I don't wish any Pine Wasps harm, it's just I'd rather they weren't anywhere near me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite Cheyenne's reassurance, it doesn't look harmless to me! I think you were very brave Denise.

    'Ovipositor' - what a wonderful word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough I have a really swollen arm today after being bitten/stung by a tiny thing! It seems it's the mini beasties we need to beware of. I've declared war.

    ReplyDelete