Saturday, 7 January 2012

Standing out from the crowd.

Back in 2008/09 I spent a lot of time just sitting by the window with little mobility and lots of pain. I had a bird feeder outside the window and I'm pretty sure that without the visits and activity of the wild birds I would have sunk into bored, frustrated despair. Their beautiful colours and busy interaction kept me engrossed for hours. These days I'm a little more mobile but I often have difficult days when I just have to sit still. On such days I'm reminded to be thankful for the little things. Like the birds.And the lovely variety that visit my garden.This morning as I watched through my shamefully grubby window, in amongst the usual colourful throng I saw these;





A blackcap and a nuthatch. I've seen the nuthatch a few times before but only infrequently and it is sharp and shy so I'm delighted that I managed to get a couple of photos, even if they are through a dirty window! The RSPB site tells me that they are only an occasional visitor to Scotland. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/n/nuthatch/index.aspx It also tells me that the blackcap is a male and is probably one of the stars of the Solway Symphonia that I mentioned in the previous post. You can hear his song here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/blackcap/index.aspx Just click on the play button, top left of the linked page.
Being forced to go slow and be still has its compensations. As well as reminding you that come a more active day the windows need to be cleaned!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. And I couldn't agree more re birds. I have a couple of feeders in the garden, but my real pleasure is a transparent feeder on my kitchen window and I love to watch who decides to appear on what day and time. They have a hierarchy and it makes for never endingly fascinating watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vee. They are lovely to watch aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! You have a beautiful blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots of the nuthatch, they are a challenge to get..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone, I enjoyed yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I really loved your light painting from a couple of weeks ago. I was one of the very best ones;)

    ReplyDelete