Sunday, 28 August 2011

Sunday Stills Challenge - Pests

This week's Sunday Stills Challenge is 'Pests' or 'Things That Annoy You'.


This is the fluffy seed-head of a rampant yellow weed that keeps trying to invade my garden.I've always thought of it as a pest until I started to photograph it. Then I found that it attracted so many different bee type things that I'm not really sure that I should count it as a pest - but I have! I'm highlighting my appalling lack of knowledge about bugs here because I've really no idea whether these are bees or flies. Any knowledgeable opinions would be appreciated.



Pest extraordinaire - Chico, certain that bouncing his way up shrubbery will help him to catch that ever elusive bird that is twenty feet above him.

It's a good job we love him!

Back to bugs, I've no idea what this is but it's the same size as a mosquito. It's still lurking in my living room somewhere, so it definitely counts as a pest.

It seems that everywhere you look in Dumfries and Galloway, your view is blighted by a rash of windfarms. I don't mind the odd single turbine but the size of these monstrous things can be seen by comparing them to the cottage in the foreground.
They emit a low droning whine and are so eerie and ominous against the overcast sky. Sustainable energy .Fine in moderation but for me they are far too prolific and have become eyesores so they definitely deserve the title of pest.











9 comments:

  1. Well done, the first pic are bees and the third I think is a sweat bee..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Thanks. I thought the first ones were honey bees but wasn't sure because there are some here that are a bit furrier. Great challenge Ed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first pic... sharp and I'm a sucker for black and white. Good set of photos Mari... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that pest of mozzie definitely annoys, esp if they spread malaria or dengue fever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and I agree on all the pests bar the wind turbines. We have quite a few round here and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, especially the one of Chico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a novice blogger I've just discovered that it's important to keep up with the comments that any visitors are kind enough to leave. Because (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I can't find a way to reply to each individual comment!

    So thanks everyone and I promise I'll do better next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree bout the wind turbines; there is a place in Alberta where there are literally hundreds of them on what used to be hay pasture; they call it a wind farm. It is a good thing, but it sure is ugly and a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete